Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Word That Cannot Be Spoken Nor Spelled.


We've entered a new terrain the past few months with Wesley. As he adds more and more words to his vocabulary, Shannon and I have found ourselves falling back to the time honored parental pasttime of spelling key words in our sentences to avoid detection. However, there is one exception we have come across. Our son LOVES Icees. And especially with the heat we've had this summer, we often overlook our concerns for his sugar intake and treat him to his favorite frozen beverage. Problem is, if the word is spoken, all we will hear for the rest of the day is "ICEE! ICEE!" But here's the rub. We cannot spell it either, as spelling it pretty much sounds identical to saying it. So we find ourselves structuring sentences like walking through minefields. Comments like, "do you think we may want to take Wesley down the street to get that refreshing unspecified flavored frozen liquid?" are not unusual in our house now.

1 comment:

Ada said...

I find that I have lost my spelling abilities so I will be in the middle of spelling a word that must not be spoken and forget how to spell it which causes a vein on Steve's head to pulse.

That and Abby has started to learn to associate not just the word but the spelling to certain unmentionables - like b.a.t.h. and c.o.o.k.i.e.s.